The Port Arthur Fire Department Training Division is headed by Battalion Chief Mike Free. In addition to being the Training Officer for the fire department, Battalion Chief Free also serves as the Secretary for the Texas Association of Fire Educators (TAFE). TAFE is a statewide association made up of training officers from all over the State of Texas. TAFE hosts an annual conference in the first quarter of each year. In addition to the conference, TAFE also hosts regional training classes and seminars. The department also has 28 Texas Commission of Fire Protection Certified Instructors and one Texas Commission on Fire Protection Coordinator. Our classroom is also TCFP approved. Since 2009, the department has hosted TCFP Certification classes for Haz-Mat Technician, Instructor I and Fire Investigator and will be holding more certification classes in the near future. The fire department also offers CPR classes to the public. For information on CPR classes; or on TAFE click on the link below, or call Battalion Chief Mike Free at 409-982-9597.
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection: http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/
- Texas Association of Fire Educators: http://www.TAFE.org/
- TEEX: http://www.teex.com/esti/
- Texas Department of State Health Services: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/default.shtm
- Texas Division of Emergency Management: https://www.preparingtexas.org/index.aspx